On July 11 Jar Of Flies (the ultimate AIC experience), a Seattle-based Alice In Chains tribute, performed at Sound Check Bar & Grill in Lynnwood, WA. Also performing that evening were Outshined (Tribute To Soundgarden & Temple Of The Dog) and Scarecrow Messiah. Jar Of Flies is actually a “sister band” of sorts with Outshined, as the bands share the same band members, except feature different singers. Scarecrow Messiah performs original songs but also features members of both Jar Of Flies and Outshined.
The members of Jar Of Flies are:
- Rane Stone – Vocals. Rane’s bands include Years Of War, Klover Jane, Jar Of Flies and Wratchet Head.
- J.T. Phillips – Guitar. JT’s bands include Years Of War, Klover Jane, Jar Of Flies, Outshined and Jamie Nova SKY.
- Daryl Williams – Drums. Daryl’s bands include Years Of War, Scarecrow Messiah, Jar Of Flies and Outshined.
- Shannon Sharp – Guitar. Shannon’s bands include Jar Of Flies, Outshined, Scarecrow Messiah, Fever 103 (A Tribute To Foreigner)
- Lee Bruso – Bass. Lee’s bands include Jar Of Flies and Outshined.
The set-list pulled liberally from the early years of the Alice In Chains catalog, with 6 songs from Facelift and 8 songs from Dirt. Also represented were Sap and Jar Of Flies (1 song each) and the self-titled album Alice In Chains (3 songs). At the start of the set singer Rane Stone made a heartfelt dedication to deceased Alice In Chains members Layne Staley and Mike Starr. It was nice to see Mike Starr included in the dedication, as I’ve always felt him to be an integral member of the band’s sound. In some ways Alice In Chains lost their way when Starr left after recording Dirt.
Jar Of Flies did a fantastic job this evening. I was excited to hear so much material from Facelift, the album that got me interested in Alice In Chains in the first place. Singer Rane Stone does an excellent rendition of Layne Staley, capturing not only his powerful vocals but also his stage persona, complete with leather pants and jacket, sunglasses and black cowboy hat. I saw Alice In Chains twice back in 1993, and I get the same feeling from watching Jar Of Flies today. But imagine watching Alice In Chains at a small intimate setting, playing a “perfect” set-list. That’s the live experience of Jar Of Flies, and that’s what I feel every good tribute band strives for.
But don’t take my word for it. Below are four live recordings from the July 11 Jar Of Flies show, the songs “Man In The Box”, “Down In A Hole”, “Would?” and “Rooster.”
The full set-list for the July 11 Jar Of Flies show is below:
- It Ain’t Like That from Facelift
- Sea Of Sorrow from Facelift
- Again from Alice In Chains
- Bleed The Freak from Facelift
- Them Bones from Dirt
- Dam That River from Dirt
- Rain When I Die from Dirt
- Sunshine from Facelift
- I Stay Away from Jar Of Flies
- Sludge Factory from Alice In Chains
- We Die Young from Facelift
- Down In A Hole from Dirt
- Grind from Alice In Chains
- Junkhead from Dirt
- Dirt from Dirt
- Got Me Wrong from Sap
- Rooster from Dirt
- Angry Chair from Dirt
- Man In The Box from Facelift
- Love Hate Love from Facelift
- Would? From Dirt
#ErikTomrenWrites is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.