What sets these singles apart is the high caliber of re-mixers, including Feindflug, Hocico, Grendel, Assemblage 23 and Torben Schmidt (Lights of Euphoria) with Vasi Vallis (NamNamBulu). As a godfather of the scene, Van Roy could have chosen just about anyone to remix his works, for example EBM dinosaurs Plastic Noise Experience. That’s why it’s exciting that Van Roy largely selected up-and-coming talent for this single. Suicide Commando won’t last forever, but hopefully some of these acts will continue in the vein of Van Roy and those who came before him.
What I didn’t expect from this single is remixes from Converter and :Wumpscut:! In Converter’s case, this is the first time Scott Sturgis and Van Roy have collaborated since Sturgis penned the lyrics to the Suicide Commando track “Acid Bath” (as far as I know, anyway). Hopefully, these two can work together more in the future. The :Wumpscut: remix of “One Nation Under God” is easily my favorite from this set, but it is actually more of a cover, with Rudy Ratzinger re-recording all the vocals with entirely different phrasings.
For more Gothic-Industrial content, along with other electronic music genres, please see the following:
- amGod ‘Dreamcatcher’ Box Review
- Cock E.S.P. / Panicsville: Last Train to Cocksville (review)
- Doormouse: Freaked Out Mess (review)
- Doormouse: Messed Out Freak (review)
- Earth Loop Recall: Compulsion (review)
- Jihad | Live In Bratislava 28-02-2015 – Dark EBM Souls
- N3VOA: Wasted Memories (review)
- Red Reflection: Prelude to Annihilation (review)
- Rob Gee: Na Na / Fuck Osama Bin Laden (review)
- Ulver: Teachings in Silence (review)
- Ulver: A Quick Fix of Melancholy (review)
- Various Artists: Interbreeding II: Industrial Mutation
This review was originally written for MusicWerks Magazine Issue #3, published in August of 2004.
ErikTomrenWrites is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program. Your purchases on Amazon.com via our links will help support ErikTomrenWrites – at no extra cost to you!