Honningsvåg, the northernmost city of mainland Norway
Honningsvåg is the northernmost city on the mainland of Norway, located in Nordkapp Municipality in Finnmark County. With just 2,436 inhabitants in 2012, Honningsvåg would not qualify as a city in Norway under normal circumstances, since it does not meet the 5,000 person threshold under law. However, because the city was declared in 1996, before the law was passed, Honningsvåg is exempt.
Among the city’s main industries are fishing and tourism. Despite having a latitude of 71°N, north of the Arctic Circle, the city is surprisingly temperate due to the Gulf Stream. One of the more popular ways to visit Honningsvåg is via the Hurtigruten Norwegian Coastal Voyage, which travels the length of Norway’s coast, all the way from Bergen to Kirkenes.
The following pictures were taken in Honningsvåg during a port stop of the MS Midnatsol (Midnight Sun). Photos by Doug Tomren, taken in April of 2013.
For more travel-related content, please see:
- Arctic Circle Air Adventure with Northern Alaska Tour Co.
- Bigfoot sighted at Espresso Chalet in Index, Washington
- Cruising to St. Petersburg: a visa primer
- Downtown to West Seattle (Alki Beach) on the King County Water Taxi
- Exploring the city center of Bergen, Norway
- Guatemala and Belize – Evergreen Escapes travel series
- Gdynia, Poland: Seattle sister city since 1993
- Jeff King’s Husky Homestead in Denali
- Louis Armstrong statue at New Orleans Airport
- Seattle Great Wheel largest Ferris wheel on the West Coast
- Seattle sister cities – an overview
- Seattle Syttende Mai 2020: Quarantine Edition
- Seattle ‘Wacky Holiday Lights & Wine Tasting Tour’
- Seattle’s first Thursday Free Museum Day Program
- Sihanoukville, Cambodia: Seattle sister city
- The tiny Wayside Chapel near Sultan, Washington
- Ultimate Namibia Safari – Evergreen Escapes travel series
- Visiting Mendenhall Glacier on layover at Juneau Airport
ErikTomrenWrites is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program. Your purchases on Amazon.com via our links will help support ErikTomrenWrites – at no extra cost to you!